I’m wholeheartedly convinced that roasting is the easiest and most delicious way to get your needed daily dose of vegetables (and then some!). I’ve roasted butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower for quite a few recent family dinners back home and every time I find a new convert who wants my recipe or who brings me the veggies the next time I’m home to whip up another batch. I share how easy it is to roast all vegetables with them and then smile that I’m turning more people into vegetable lovers. This vegan green salad dressing dish is my latest incarnation of such deliciousness inspired by a new favorite restaurant in Sacramento, California…
My mom took me to her new favorite Mexican restaurant in Downtown Sacramento last week before I flew home. It’s called Zocalo and I’m totally hooked now too. I ordered a pepita salad with grilled shrimp and we savored the deliciousness. I’ve been adding leftover roasted vegetables to my salads for a while now and love the earthier flavor they add as well as the variety in consistency to raw veggies. Here I used cumin, probably my favorite seasoning, for a smoky, Mexican flavor on the roasted root vegetables and bell peppers. The oregano adds yet another layer of flavor. Don’t forget to rub dry herbs between your fingers before adding it to the veggies to release their maximum flavor. With all this flavor in the veggies and toppings, you can keep the dressing light and simple. Enjoy this salad with the vegetables warm or cold and you can easily add any kind of protein to this salad to make it a heartier meal!
CUMIN ROASTED VEGETABLE SALAD
- 4 medium carrots, sliced into spears/halves (heirloom carrots used here)
- 1 medium red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 Cup roasted, salted pepita seeds
- 1/4 Cup dried cranberries
- 4-6 Cups lettuce/chopped kale salad mix
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice (approx. 2 small limes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine carrots, peppers, olive oil, salt, cumin, and oregano. Roast 30-35 minutes until tender. With ten minutes remaining, add cherry tomatoes to roasting pan.
- Meanwhile, slice avocado and combine dressing ingredients. Toss lettuce/kale mix with salad dressing. Place in bowls.
- Top salad with roasted carrots, peppers, and cherry tomatoes. Top with avocado slices, seeds, dried cranberries, and cilantro.
Recipe by Luci Petlack, Luci's Morsels