I have a sweet tooth, but I usually pretty discerning. It’s easy for me to pass up packaged cookies or chocolate candy, but homemade cookies or a fruit crisp/crumble (especially à la mode) and I’ll lick the plate clean until everyone is staring. When I unpacked that Harrod’s Holiday Hamper, however, my discerning sweet tooth found some delectable cookies (in a package) that I wasn’t going to be able to resist. My favorite? The white chocolate strawberry cookies. They were a butter cookie with bits of dried strawberry and white chocolate but nothing overwhelming. They were amazing!! I loved them so much, and they seem so perfect for Valentine’s Day that I wanted to recreate them. Instead of butter cookies, I decided to make them into scones and they’re delicious. After I made them, I asked my husband if he wanted one. He said he’d have a bite. And then he proceeded to eat the whole thing, so I think they went over well!!
I had a hard time finding dried strawberries – surprisingly. I found a mixed berry pack at Trader Joe’s that came with strawberries, blueberries, and cherries (not a berry, right?), but it didn’t have enough strawberries. I ended up mixing strawberries and cherries for this batch and it tasted delicious. I did find strawberry-infused, dried cranberries which probably would have been a great option as well, but I was determined to find dried strawberries at the time and passed them up. Next time, I won’t be so overzealous!
WHITE CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY SCONES
- 2 1/4 Cups flour
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
- 1/2 Cup cold butter
- 3/4 Cup dried strawberries or other red fruit
- 1/2 Cup white chocolate chips
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons half & half or cream
- 1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar
- 2+ Tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom in large bowl. Add zest.
- Cut cold butter into small cubes and add to flour mixture. Rub flour and butter between your fingers until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add dried strawberries and white chocolate chips. Slowly add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Turn dough onto clean, floured surface. Knead until dough is no longer sticky.
- Pat dough into 1-inch tall circle or rectangle. Cut into eight equal pieces.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet - reshape if necessary.
- In a small bowl whisk egg and half & half. Brush egg mixture over scones.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, rotating ten minutes into baking time. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk powdered sugar, milk, and jam. If too thick to drizzle, add more milk in very small increments. If too thin, add powdered sugar.
- Drizzle icing over scones. Enjoy immediately or let sit. Cover to serve next day.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo