As I’m working through a bunch of old posts on my site, I’m reminded of delicious recipes from just a few years ago that I immediately crave upon seeing again. This week’s ‘rediscovery’ was this coconut banana bread that is nothing short of amazing. I remember when I made it the first time, my cousin was visiting and she ended up eating at least 1/3 of it – it as that scrumptious!
Coconut Banana Bread
I really love homemade banana bread. My husband loves it more than I do, but he wants his with chocolate chips and I prefer mine without. This recipe with chopped dried, young coconut, however, keeps up both happy. Dried, young coconut isn’t your typical dried coconut. Instead of small shreds or flakes, it actually looks like all the other dried fruits you’re used to eating. You can see just how thick the pieces are in the photos. I love chopping this coconut into breads and snack mixes like this tropical trail mix. It has so much flavor unlike other dried coconut varieties. I discovered the coconut at Costco a few years ago but now can only find it on Amazon…
What to Put on Banana Bread?
The topping on this loaf is dried, sweetened coconut. Just before throwing the loaves into the oven (that phrase is so funny, isn’t it?! Who ‘throws’ anything into the oven?), I wondered about adding a topping – chopped nuts or seeds really. My mind wandered around the logical options until I thought of the dried coconut. I worried it would burn since the bread bakes for over 45 minutes, so I only topped one loaf with the coconut. But it didn’t! Doesn’t it look wonderful? Such an easy thing – just add some dried, sweetened coconut on top of the coconut banana bread batter and bake as directed!
COCONUT BANANA BREAD
If you love banana bread but always want a little more, this coconut banana bread is it. Loaded with chopped nuts loads of dried coconut, this tropical treat is a fun twist on a classic recipe!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk OR milk with dash of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup nuts chopped
- 1 cup dried young coconut roughly chopped
- Move oven rack so that bread pans will be in the center of the oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two loaf pans with nonstick spray.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Stir in bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to wet ingredients. Combin until just moistened. Stir in nuts and coconut. Divide batter evenly between pans.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (not gooey).
- Let cool in pans on wire rack for ten minutes. Carefully loosen bread from sides with butter knife. Remove from pans and let cool completely before slicing.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo