This veggie pasta salad is one of those recipes I’ve been making for a while but haven’t shared yet. I sort of remember its beginnings. My husband asked if I could make a pasta salad. I’m not usually a big pasta salad person and we didn’t have a lot of food in the house, so I tried my best. I sautéed some onions and peppers with italian seasonings, added it to some cooked pasta, and then guessed on the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I wasn’t sure about the easy veggie pasta salad I’d concocted (it seemed too simple to be good), but I sent him to work with some awaiting his review. He loved it so much that it’s now a go to anytime he’s looking for a switchup on his “snacks.”
Veggie Pasta Salad
This veggie pasta salad is such a basic flavor combination, but one that he loves and so therefore I love it! Over the years, I’ve experimented with adding a few ingredients. You’ll see pepperoncinis in here which adds a nice tang, but you could leave those out if you want. The fresh basil is a recent addition and I totally love it – that freshness is always preferable to my palate. You could easily add garbanzo beans, cheese, or salami for a little protein, but honestly, it’s pretty tasty just like this and certainly easy! And the best part is that I always have all the ingredients on hand! With so many bbqs, potlucks, and even weekend/camping trips going on in summertime, this easy veggie pasta salad is the perfect dish since it’s familiar, healthy, and stores really well in a Tupperware container or even a sealed plastic bag.
VEGGIE PASTA SALAD
When my husband and I first moved in together, he requested a pasta salad one night for dinner. I'd never made one before and hesitatingly started putting things together. The result was this super simple pasta salad packed with sauteed onions and peppers dressed in a balsamic vinaigrette of sorts. He loved it and still requests it to this day!
- 1 lb. small pasta orecchiette used here
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 large bell pepper roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 Cup pepperoncinis optional
- optional add ins: garbanzo beans cubed mozzarella cheese, chopped salami
- Cook pasta according to directions. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water, just before adding pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in saute pan. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let onions sweat 1-2 minutes. Add bell peppers. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, and garlic powder. Combine well. Let cook 5-7 minutes, depending on desired doneness. Remove from heat.
- After draining pasta, combine with vegetables. Add 1 tablespoon each olive oil and balsamic vinegar as well as sugar. Add pepperoncinis if using. Serve warm or chilled.
*when using dried herbs, rub them between fingers to release flavor
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo