Are you already salivating? Yeah, me too! Is it bad to admit that? Hopefully not. Roasted squash of any kind has always be a favorite of mine, but I just love this whole roasted butternut squash pasta recipe – it’s full of familiar fall flavors and it’s so easy to make!
Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta
I’ve been a fan of roasted vegetables with pasta for a long time. I love how the depth of flavor that comes from roasting always pairs so well with pasta – especially orecchiette (why can I never spell that one right?). The butternut squash, onions, and sliced chicken sausage all roast together on a single sheet pan in the oven while you cook the pasta. The flavors of the veggies and sausage marry in the oven with just a little work on your side (a quick mixing halfway through).
Another hidden flavor in all this? The apples and maple syrup in this al fresco’s chicken sausage. I love that these sausages are fully-cooked, so I don’t have to worry about anything while cooking. They’re the perfect addition to this fall weeknight dinner recipe. Heck, I think this one’s good enough for guests on the weekend too!
In the recipe below, sage and parmesan are listed as optional toppings, but I don’t think they should be optional; they’re just so good!! If you can’ find fresh sage, fresh thyme would be good here. And if you want to add a little kick to your roasted butternut squash pasta, feel free to add a few chili flakes like I did! So, so yummy!
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA w. SAUSAGE
Fall dinners are always so delicious and filling, but they don't have to be difficult. Combine some of the best fall flavors in this easy dinner recipe. The veggies and sausage all roast together in the oven, making for a simple two-dish meal everyone will love!
- 2 cups cubed winter squash such as butternut*
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 pack al fresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta cooked according to package directions
- Optional garnishes: shaved parmesan finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- *Note: Cut squash cubes to 1/2-inch to 1-inch in size. Smaller similarly-sized cubes will roast more evenly and quickly.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the squash and onion in a medium bowl. Pour in the olive oil. Add the salt, coriander, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir to coat the vegetables with oil and seasonings. Transfer to a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the sausage to the sheet pan and spread everything into a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and stir. Bake an additional 12 to 15 minutes, until the squash is tender and the sausage pieces begin to brown.
- Divide the pasta evenly among four serving plates. Top with an equal amount of squash and sausage. Garnish with shaved parmesan and sage, if desired, before serving.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo
This post was sponsored by al fresco. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting all Luci’s Morsels collaborations.