So. Sacramento is hot! Don’t worry, I knew it was going to be, but ya know. 102 is still a shock to the ole system when you rarely see over 85 on the regular for a few years. Needless to say, we’re still very much in the swing of summer recipes, easy dishes, and no (or little) cook situations – especially now that we have a refrigerator!!! This red bean salad is so light and fresh that it’s a great go to this late in the summer…
Red Bean Salad
In my first year of blogging, I remember that I made a two bean salad. I think it only had olive oil, salt, and pepper mixed in with the two beans. I hadn’t discovered the joy of fresh herbs or the wonderful nature of feta yet. So this red bean salad is really just an elevated version of that salad, but full of way more flavor.
I remember those photos were in clear pyrex bowls with a silver serving spoon that was probably 2-3x too big. It’s so interesting to me how many recipes I make on the regular have images in my head from those early days of blogging. In my mind they’re picture perfect, but I know the pictures were far from perfect!
Last Minute Salad
I think that thing I love best about this dish is that it’s impossibly easy. And it’s not easy just because it has a few ingredients, but the ingredients are usually already in my cupboards and fridge.
You can make some easy swaps here and there and still have a great salad on hand. White cannellini/kidney beans would be great. Just about any fresh herb would be good (even add it to the sliced green onion).
And just like last week’s watermelon arugula salad, goat cheese would be just fine here. Or if you wanted a slightly different flavor – queso fresco!
RED BEAN SALAD
This easy salad packs in the protein and flavor with just a few ingredients you always have on hand. It's an easy no-cook dish in the summer and a fast recipe for winter too!
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5 oz can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Place the chickpeas, kidney beans, and green onions in a medium bowl. Stir well.
- Add the lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with feta cheese. Refrigerate until ready to serve.