I’ve been trying to be environmentally conscious for the last ten years or so. Don’t get excited. All I used to do was reuse grocery bags for trash bags. And I took my reusable cup to get coffee, but that was more about the 10¢ discount than the environment (just being honest here)!
Over the years, however, I’ve slowly started incorporating more practices that use less and reuse more. Occasionally, however, I’ve jumped into the deep end and I’ve literally almost lost my mind. Just like quitting a bad habit takes time and trial/error, so does developing new habits!!
1. Reduce. 2. Reuse. 3. Recycle.
As I ease back into work from my maternity leave, I’ve been trying to figure out where my interests lay and right now, they’re all about being more eco-friendly. I’m so far from perfect. And truthfully, I highly doubt I’ll ever be off the grid or zero waste, but I can have less waste! And I think that’s good!!
So how do you become eco-friendly without losing your mind? Little by little.
Our country (among many others) really doesn’t make it easy to be friendlier to our earth, so it takes work on my part and yours. And I don’t think any of us can really become zero waste over night. IT TAKES TIME! So it’s ok if you and your family don’t do EVERYTHING that’s eco-friendly. Start by adding just one new practice per month to your routine and you’re doing well!
How to Be Eco-Friendly w/o Losing Your Mind!
Here are ten ideas. Check which ones you’re already doing and find a new one to add! And if you’re already doing all ten, walk yourself and your reusable tumbler to coffee and treat yourself – you’re fantastic!
1. No more plastic water bottles (reuse a glass at home/work and get yourself a water bottle)
2. Turn off water when brushing teeth
3. Turn off water when scrubbing dishes
4. Don’t let the shower warm up any longer than necessary
5. Use reusable tote bags for everything
6. Use cloth napkins over paper towels!
7. Take your cup to get coffee/tea (here’s a great one for hot drinks and one for iced!)
8. Wash clothes with cold water
9. No idling in car
10. Avoid take out and delivery. Or if you must, ask for no silverware and napkins!