Our neighbors recently hosted a brunch potluck (they’re obviously my kind of people). I originally thought about bringing a berry bread pudding – delicious, right? Our friends began responding with what each of them was bringing and it was all primarily bready, sugary goodness. I’m all for some indulgence, but my healthy side needed some more vegetables. Not ready to desert my bread pudding plans, however, I came up with this savory breakfast bread pudding.
The dish only has bread on top, no cheese, and only fat free milk. I was worried others would be over its healthy nature. Quite the contrary, however, everyone loved the light lemon flavor and nobody seemed to notice that they were eating mostly vegetables!
Savory Breakfast Bread Pudding
I don’t tend to be a sweet breakfast person, so a savory breakfast bread pudding is actually right up my alley. Savory (and sweet really) breakfast and brunch dishes tend to be heavy – not my favorite.
I love that this one is primarily veggies, and then fluffy eggs, and then just a hint of crusty bread. Underneath those crispy bread pieces that immediately draw you in is two inches of chopped cauliflower and rainbow chard. Mixed with beaten eggs and topped with pieces of a whole wheat bread loaf, it’s basically a complete meal in and of itself.
Each serving has less than one small piece of bread and your taste buds are none the wiser, but your waistline certainly will be.
I’m planning on serving this as a dish at dinner too. It’s an easy side or even a main dish depending on your needs. If you’re hoping to be healthier this year, this is a great dish with which to start. You won’t think you’re missing out!
CAULIFLOWER + CHARD SAVORY BREAD PUDDING
Is it terrible to admit that I try to sneak vegetables into potluck dishes? Please don’t hate me. This dish, at least, was a major winner. The crispy bread on top lets you think it’s a traditional bread pudding when it’s actually stuffed with cauliflower and greens!
- 2 1/2 cups chopped chard
- 2 1/2 cups chopped cauliflower approx. 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups cubed french bread
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk fat free is fine
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread cubed bread evenly in 2 quart baking dish. Bake 15 minutes to dry out.
- Meanwhile, mix cauliflower, chard, and garlic.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, lemon zest, salt, and pepper.
- Remove bread from baking dish and set aside.
- Spray baking dish with nonstick spray. Add vegetable mixture. Top with toasted bread. Pour egg batter over veggies and bread. Let sit five minutes.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until egg is cooked through. If middle isn’t setting, cover with foil for last five minutes.