I’ve been in a funk with dinner ideas for what seems like months. Occasionally, I have some great concoctions, but I’ve been a blank slate more than I care to admit. I’m hoping it’ll get better when it’s cooler out and turning on the oven doesn’t sound so dreadful. I like ground turkey recipes as healthier dinner options, but my husband can get tired of them (understandably so). This cabbage and pasta is a slight remix on a recipe from Real Simple magazine a few years ago. It uses the same pan to cook the meat and then the cabbage, so all the flavors blend together during cooking even though you aren’t using a single pan. I used to make it frequently, but then it fell out of my rotation. After making it again recently, I think it’ll be back in the rotation…
Cabbage and Pasta
Just like most of my dinner recipes, cabbage and pasta offers a lot of flexibility. I used red and green napa cabbage. You can use one or the other. Regular green cabbage is also fine. You can obviously omit the ground turkey or sub in another ground meat to your liking. And obviously any pasta will do, but I like long noodles as they combine well with the sliced cabbage. I also like to sprinkle chili flakes over mine, but just fresh black pepper is a nice finish.
One of the things I learned during my weight loss is that I can still enjoy pasta but in moderation. I like to serve pasta and sauce separately, so I can control the amount. I usually do a small amount of pasta and top it with a a lot of sauce (hopefully filled with veggies and some kind of protein). You can see in the recipe below, I used just 1/2 lb. to make 4-6 servings. Because the cabbage has a bit of crunch and is cut long, it mixes well with the pasta.
Click to Download My Free eBook:
How to make Perfect Rice/Quinoa in Your Rice Cooker
& 5 Delicious Recipes
CABBAGE AND PASTA
My husband loves pasta and I live for veggies. This cabbage and pasta dish is the best of both worlds. The cabbage replaces some of the pasta, but you don’t have to skimp in the flavor. I’ve heard it’s also a great way to sneak some veggies into those picky eaters at your dinner table!
- 1/2 lb. pasta
- olive oil
- 1 lb. lean, ground turkey
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head Cabbage, sliced (approx. 12 Cups)*
- 1 1/2 Cups stock
- chili flakes (optional)
- fresh pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and 2 teaspoons salt to boiling water before adding pasta. Reserve at least 1/2 Cup pasta water just before draining pasta.
- Meanwhile heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in very large saute pan or pot with lid. Add ground turkey. Season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook 6-8 minutes. Remove turkey from pan and cover. It's ok if turkey isn't completely cooked through at this point as it will return to the pan later.
- Add minced garlic to pan. Cook 1 minute until fragrant. Add cabbage. Let cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning garlic. Add stock. Cover and cook 6 minutes. Stir cabbage. Add turkey back to pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 Cup pasta water and chili flakes (if desired).
- Add pasta and stir carefully - your pan/pot will be full.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo
Courses Main Dish
Thank you to Melissa’s for providing me with the produce.