My love for various versions of my homemade biscotti seems to know no end. It started with these lemon almond biscotti – such a great, year round classic. Then came these orange biscotti (check out the video we just made for those below). And now these cranberry orange biscotti.
I love that I always have ingredients on hand for biscotti and that I can throw them in a compostable ziploc bag in the freezer. Then I pull one or two out as I need (“need!!”) to…
Cranberry Orange Biscotti
These cranberry biscotti are super tasty. The tart, dried cranberries blend perfectly with fresh orange juice and zest. And they’re all balanced out with the cookie itself.
I actually really hate calling these cookies because it makes them seem indulgent and unhealthy. They really aren’t! I enjoy these with my morning or afternoon coffee. It’s a little bit of sweet that isn’t heavy in any way…
If you aren’t a fan of cranberries, you can substitute whatever dried fruit you like. Raisins (traditional or golden) would be delicious. Obviously I like dried dates. You could try papaya or pineapple too. The options are endless!
Healthy Biscotti Recipe
There are a variety of biscotti recipes. Many recipes call for butter, which sounds so heavy to me. I can’t imagine it.
Others call for dipping the biscotti in chocolate or drizzling it over the top. I mean. That sounds delicious, but that’s when we enter into the dessert stage, I think!
In this healthy biscotti recipe, the only fat comes from the two eggs. It’s certainly low fat. If you’re looking to cutback on the sugar/calories, you can cut back on the sugar a tad. Maybe a few tablespoons? To replace the flavor, I’ve added an extra ½ teaspoon or so of almond or vanilla extract. It’s a delicious flavor booster without the calorie concern.
CRANBERRY ORANGE BISCOTTI
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar and eggs in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the orange zest, orange juice, and the vanilla.
- Add the baking powder, salt, and flour. Mix on medium until a dough forms, about 45 seconds. Mix in cranberries.
- Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet. Shape it into a flat log, about 4-inches wide, 9-inches long, and 1-inch high.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edges are browned and the center is firm. Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife to trim each end, then carefully cut into 8 to 12 slices. Thinner cuts will result in a more crisp biscotti while thick cuts will be firm, but with a softer interior. Turn each piece cut-side up on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully flip and bake for 15 more minutes. Cool completely before serving.