On my birthday last month, my husband and I went to lunch at one of my favorites – Hayden. Feeling a little splurgy, I ordered the “Hayden Spritz” – a turmeric cocktail that seemed right up my alley. I’ve been on a turmeric kick lately, so while I don’t usually have alcohol at lunch, it felt worthwhile and not completely unhealthy. The perfectly bright citrusy drink was delicious and I couldn’t stop thinking about it…
Turmeric Cocktail w. Homemade Turmeric Syrup
In essence this turmeric spritzer is a delicious, easy spritzer with the addition of a homemade turmeric syrup. While it seems fancy and complicated, it’s actually pretty simple to make (see the recipe below). In addition to the flavorful addition it adds to this libation, the syrup can be mixed with club soda for an italian soda of sorts and I’m pretty sure it’d be delicious served with some vanilla ice cream or coconut sorbet – just saying! You could easily double the recipe for the turmeric syrup if you wanted to experiment with other tasty combinations. If you’re looking for a make-ahead cocktail, not only can you make the turmeric syrup ahead of time, you could mix it with the orange juice and zest up to one day beforehand. Then just serve and top with the sparkling wine when the times comes!
Fair warning: be careful with the raw turmeric as it can stain your hands and countertops. I usually wear a pair of gloves when dealing with foods that stain (namely beets and turmeric), but don’t let that deter you from adding the tasty root to your happy hour! Cheers!
Turmeric Cocktail | Turmeric Orange Spritzer
This delicious drink was inspired by a cocktail at a favorite lunch spot in Los Angeles - Hayden. We went there for my birthday, so I splurged and ordered a cocktail (feeling healthy with the turmeric addition). It was so delicious that I couldn't stop thinking about it and had to find a recipe so I could remake it at home!
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh turmeric about a 3-inch piece
- ¼ teaspoon grated orange zest
Turmeric Orange Spritzer
- ½ cup freshly squeezed navel orange juice about 2 oranges, chilled
- Sparkling white wine chilled
- Curled orange peel for garnish
- Stir together the water, maple syrup, and turmeric in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Strain into bowl or large glass measuring cup and discard any solids. It should make about a ½ cup of turmeric syrup. Let cool completely.
- Add the orange zest and chilled orange juice to the turmeric syrup and stir well. Strain the liquid and discard the solids.
- Divide the turmeric orange juice between four wine glasses or champagne flutes. Top with 4 ounces of sparkling white wine, or more as desired. Garnish with orange peel before serving.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo