In addition to the best watermelon of the season recently appearing on our table, corn and zucchini seem to have hit their summer stride. This summer corn pasta with zucchini is now therefore a must on our family’s table!
I planted a few zucchini seeds in our backyard last month. We haven’t had any squash yet, but the plant is looking healthy, so I’m hopeful to have some in a few weeks.
In the meantime, we’ve been enjoying some from the farmers market and from my mom’s garden when she has some to share!
Summer Corn Pasta
I always liked corn growing up, but I didn’t really appreciate the fact until I stayed with family of a friend in Baltimore for one of my research trips in grad school. My friend’s mom rejoiced in the ability to buy corn from trucks on the side of the road and did so as much as she could!
Since then I’ve become much more cognisant of loving the summer staple. I usually treat it as a starchy part of our meals (our plates loaded with more nutrient-dense veggies for sure), but a welcome treat to say the least. This corn pasta seems like of funny (mixing carbs with carbs), but the flavor is just so delicious.
I love this corn pasta as a side dish with grilled chicken or fish. It’s delicious warm with freshly cooked zucchini and corn, but then it’s just as delicious the next day for a cold salad at lunch!
Easy Summer Dinner
Zucchini, corn, and pasta make a delicious dish to enjoy at dinner. It all comes together (stress free) in about a half hour.
While you cook the pasta, you can cut the zucchini and cut the kernels off the cob of corn. When you add the pasta to the water, saute the veggies, and then just throw it all together!
I do really love the easy addition of some fresh parmesan cheese and these chili flakes. I personally think most pasta dishes are better with chili flakes, but I know that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (bowl of pasta?).
Besides the small addition of parmesan, however, you could do a number of other cheeses. Goat cheese is obviously a welcome addition. Add in some fresh herbs and lemon zest – yum!
But honestly, this dish as is….is pretty delicious if I do say so myself!
Need more pasta in your life? This lemon tuna pasta is easy, inexpensive and delicious! Simpler versions (great as a side dish too) are peas and pasta and this ham pasta is a mandatory one in our house. And try this cabbage pasta as soon as possible!!
CORN PASTA w. ZUCCHINI
- 12 ounces penne cooked according to package directions and drained
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kernels from two ears of corn about 1 cup
- 2 small zucchini halved length-wise and sliced (about 2 ½ cups)
- 3 large basil leaves minced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional garnishes: shaved Parmesan small basil leaves, crushed red pepper, olive oil
- Drizzle drained pasta with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over medium-high in a large pot. Add the corn and cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini and cook 5 to 10 minutes, until the zucchini reaches your desired tenderness.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the basil and Parmesan. Add the salt and pepper.
- Stir in the pasta and cook for about 2 more minutes, until heated through.
- To serve, top each bowl of pasta with shaved Parmesan and other garnishes as desired.