These Hawaiian Rice Krispie Treats are a gooey, delicious combination of a few inspired recipes by others.
Unsurprisingly, the first is from my mom. She decided to add butterscotch chips to her rice krispie treats a few years ago, which was a very good decision!
She mixes the chips in with the rice krispies (as opposed to having them on top here). They melt throughout so you get maximum butterscotch in each and every bite.
Since this recipe calls for adding the chips on top, you’ll want to make sure you do it as quickly as possible after you put the marshmallow mixture in the pan. You might also top it with foil to keep some of the heat in the pan and help melt the chips into the bars.
Hawaiian Rice Krispie Treats
The mango glaze was inspired by that amazing sweet potato recipe roundup we did two weeks ago for the virtual baby shower. It really is so easy to make and I just love the color. I’m sure I’ll be finding more things to top with it – maybe a cake or even a fruit tart!!
Tropical Dessert Recipe
And finally, I learned from my sister to always add vanilla to rice krispie treats – a small but important addition.
The macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips fell in because we were heading to a Luau Beach Party. All the flavors screamed magic as I started mixing them together.
I love adding the familiar flavors of one dish or cuisine to different one. Macadamia nuts and tropical fruit (not just mango) scream Hawaiian flavors. And then I know white chocolate pairs beautifully with macadamia nuts anyway because of macadamia nut cookies.
So while this tropical dessert recipe makes perfect sense, it really is a lofty combination of about 4-6 recipes and flavor combinations!
I should mention… These Hawaiian rice krispie treats are on the messy side but totally worth it!
HAWAIIAN RICE KRISPIE TREATS
This recipe came about for a friend luau-themed birthday party. I'd just discovered mango glaze and wanted to make something new with it. These Hawaiin Rice Krispie Treats were the tasty result of my efforts. Everyone at the party was licking their fingers and asking for the recipe, so it's a crowd-pleaser!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 oz. package marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mango puree about 1 mango
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter until fragrant (3-4 minutes) over low heat. Add marshmallows. Stir constantly until marshmallows are melted. Stir in vanilla. Add rice krispies. Mix well.
- Pour marshmallow mixture into greased pan. Use waxed paper to pat into even layer in pan. Immediately sprinkle macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips over rice krispies. Use waxed paper to pat nuts and chocolate into bars. Cover.
- Meanwhile, whisk mango puree, melted butter, salt, and two cups powdered sugar. Add remaining powdered sugar as needed to thicken glaze. Carefully drizzle mango glaze over rice krispie bars to cover pan.
- Let set at least one hour before eating.