Easy Almond Biscotti w. Lemon Zest
This almond lemon biscotti recipe is a go to in my kitchen. For a while, I had a biscotti every single morning with my iced coffee after the gym. I finally decided I had to get rid of that habit and quit making them for a while. But then I started craving them again the other day and justified it so that I could snap photos and share the recipe with you! I’m hoping I won’t get as addicted to them as I did before.
Giada’s Lemon Almond Biscotti Recipe
I originally got the recipe from Giada on The Food Network but soon began to make it mine. I ditched the white chocolate, subbed in some whole wheat flour, and enhanced the almond flavor with almond extract – little tweaks to make the recipe suit my tastes and needs. With these changes, I can enjoy these biscotti without feeling guilty eating them. There’s no fat except the good kind that comes from the almonds and eggs, and there isn’t much sugar in each one.
How to Chop Almonds
In the fall and winter, I like to mix up the recipe with cinnamon for a stronger flavor. It’s perfect for a chilly morning – though I still drink it with my iced coffee. One thing I learned from making these almond biscotti so frequently is how to chop almonds without having them fling all over the kitchen. You have to use a serrated bread knife. Most other knives won’t work well, but the teeth on these knives do the trick. Then you can use the knife again to slice the biscotti ‘bread’ into cookies! Full disclosure, I always eat the end piece of this “bread” after the slices go back into the oven!
And if you love this recipe, you’ll LOVE my homemade orange biscotti with dried dates – it has a hint of chocolate and orange without any guilt!
LEMON ALMOND BISCOTTI
This lemon almond biscotti recipe was the start of my obsession with biscotti, which seems to know no end. The lemon and almond pair beautifully and they're amazingly delicious with coffee and tea. You may find that one isn't enough sometimes (or most times if you're like me)!
- 2 Cups flour
- 3/4 Cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 Cup coarsely chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large measuring cup or bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- In stand mixer, or large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until pale yellow. Mix in lemon zest and almond extract. Add in flour. Mix until just blended (dough will be sticky). Stir in almonds. Let dough rest for five minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. With wet palms (just run under faucet), shape dough into two flat "logs" - about 1" high.
- Bake for 35 minutes until lightly browned. Cool for five minutes.
- Using a serrated knife (the one you cut the almonds), carefully cut the cookies diagonally, crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti cut side down on the sheet.
- Bake about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo