This cardamom bundt cake has quickly become the ultimate new combo of simple flavors that are pure perfection in my mind!
I’ve come to the horrible/great realization in life that sweet loaf breads and cake aren’t that much different. It’s horrible because I like to call pieces of banana bread and pumpkin bread breakfast and snack sometimes and the calories and fat are just the same as enjoying a piece of cake. Sad face.
I do choose to ignore that annoying fact sometimes because my life is that much happier with these tasty treats in the morning. On the positive side, however, the similarities between breads and cakes means that I can make one recipe look like a bunch of different things. I just bake it in a different pan, including this cardamom bundt cake!
Baking with Cake Mixes
I made cardamom honey bread earlier this year and have been dreaming of making it again since then. I knew I wanted to make the same recipe in a cake form.
I’m big on switching out pans like I mentioned above. I love doing yellow cake in a bread loaf pan – the slices are so much easier to serve. And then doing pumpkin or banana bread in a cake pan. The only thing that changes is the baking time. I use the baking times on the back of cake boxes as a guideline.
Cardamom Bundt Cake + Whipped Cream
I was in a huge debate about what to top the cake with and ultimately decided on homemade whipped cream. It’s such a go-to for me, but it never disappoints. To switch things up, I decided to sweeten the cream with maple syrup instead of sugar for a more fall flavor. We took this to our friends’ house for dinner and we were all spooning tons of the whipped cream on top of the cake – it was such a hit!
HONEY CARDAMOM BUNDT CAKE
If you've never tried honey and cardamom together, I can't tell you what you're missing. The flavor combination was a random discovery in my early years of blogging, trying to reinvent the food wheel, but it was one of my best discoveries. Cardamom is such a delicious earthy yet sweet flavor. I think it's really an underappreciated spice here in the states. I think this recipe will turn you all into believers, however. Enjoy!
cardamom honey bundt cake
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoons cardamom
- 3/4 cup coconut oil or butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
maple whipped cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bundt cake pan.
- Combine dry ingredients. Set aside. In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine remaining cake ingredients. Slowly add in dry mixture. Combine thoroughly. Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Gently tap around pan before slowly turning cake onto serving plate. Cake can be enjoyed now, but letting it sit a few hours will enhance the flavors!
Maple Whipped Cream
- For the whipped cream, beat whipping cream until peaks start to form. Add in maple syrup and vanilla. Top sliced cake with big dollop of maple whipped cream.