How do you Make Cinnamon Coffee Cake?
I see a lot of coffee cake recipes out there and to be totally honest, I haven’t tried any of them. They all look delightfully sinful, but this cinnamon coffee cake with streusel recipe from my mom (and tweaked to our liking) is so good that I just can’t bring myself to make any others.
Many of my mom’s recipes came from the Betty Crocker cookbook she got for her wedding in 1963. They updated and changed many of the recipes (taken out some now-very-unpopular ones), but she still likes the original copy the best. The pages are dirty, sticking together, and falling apart. I’m pretty sure that just means the food we make from it will taste all the better!! And that’s definitely the case for this crumb coffee cake. The cinnamon streusel (in the middle and on top) is absolutely scrumptious. And the extra cinnamon in the batter (our addition) makes this pure perfection. Oh, and when the butter melts into the nooks and crannies….I can’t even put that in words!
How do I make a Coffee Cake?
I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you the coffee cake is a little bit of work. It’s nothing crazy and it’s absolutely worth it, so you’re in luck. The only part I find that take a bit of work is spreading the second half of the batter over the streusel filling. It just means I have to wait two minutes longer until I can eat it. Life is hard, isn’t it? The recipe below is all you need to make the best coffee cake – we’ve tested it more times than you can imagine to get it just right!
How do you make the topping for coffee cake?
The crumb topping (or streusel) is what makes this the best coffee cake. You mix together butter, flour, nuts, cinnamon, and brown sugar for uber deliciousness. I’ve upped the amount of streusel from the original recipe because I think it needs just a little more!
CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE w. STREUSEL
My grandma’s recipe for cinnamon streusel coffee cake is famous in our family. When I started blogging, I was also selling baked goods, hence the name of my site. This morning morsel was a top seller to say the very least!
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 9-inch square or circular pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix sugar, butter, and egg thoroughly. Stir in milk. The batter will be very wet.
- Mix dry ingredients together in separate bowl. Add flour to wet ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, microwave butter. Mix in remaining streusel ingredients.
- Spread half of the batter on bottom of pan. Move into place gently with a fork. Batter is thick, so it requires some maneuvering. Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture over batter.
- In spoonfuls, place second half of batter in pan. With a fork, gently spread the batter together over the streusel.
- Sprinkle remaining streusel over top of batter.
- Bake 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo