So for the first time in the last few years, we don’t have Super Bowl party plans. My husband’s previous coworker used to host an annual bash, but now it’s starting to look like we may host something with our fellow new parent friends! No matter if we’re at home or we decide to go somewhere, this veggie-filled vegan party appetizer will likely be on the table!
Healthy Game Day Appetizers
When you think of game day spreads, what’s the first thing to come to mind? Is it cheesy by any chance? I always think of these homemade soft pretzels with IPA beer cheese dip!
As much as I love all these dishes (look out world if there’s spinach dip!!), I do always like having something with veggies and that’s a bit lighter. I’ve found that I’m not alone with this either. Without fail whatever dish I bring (even if it’s carrot sticks and hummus), everybody gobbles it up!
Vegan Party Appetizer
Ok, so I didn’t set out for these veggie party appetizers to be vegan. I figured at least one egg would be required for binding it all together so that it didn’t fall apart into a mess, but it didn’t! And I jokingly smiled to myself that it would add a little (LITTLE) protein to the dish which is usually lacking in an appetizer spread.
As it turns out, the mashed cannellini beans were enough of a binder. I think it’s probably important to note that it mainly worked because the veggie pieces are on the smaller side. If they were too big, they would easily fall apart.
You can serve these veggie balls with toothpicks for people to easily pick them up! I love these reusable stainless steel picks that work as cocktail garnishes and appetizer accoutrement!
A dipping sauce?
I don’t have a dipping sauce featured as part of this vegan party appetizer recipe with these balls because they’re delish just on their own. If you wanted to make this a little bit bigger of a dish, however, a garlic or plain marinara sauce would be perfect!
VEGAN PARTY APPETIZERS
Game Day appetizers are usually decadent and delicious but heavy. I always like to bring a dish with veggies and/or something that's a bit lighter. I say that I bring these for myself if no one else, but I find that everybody is usually happy with the balance. These veggie-filled fritters are a sure hit at any party!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 15 ounce can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Add the zucchini to a large bowl and sprinkle it with ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Squeeze as much water as possible out of the zucchini and discard. Place the zucchini back in the bowl and add the carrots, chives, and beans. Mash all ingredients together. Add ¼ cup of the panko, the remaining salt, basil, pepper, and garlic powder. Continue to mash to combine the ingredients.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and roll each into a ball. Pour the remaining panko onto a plate in a thin layer. Roll each ball in the panko to coat and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until they begin to brown. Serve warm.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo