During my last family visit, I whipped up a broccoli potato soup similar to this and was surprised at how flavorful it was. The potato adds a thicker consistency and the broth makes this soup super flavorful!
There are many things I love about my husband. It’s crazy how similar we are and how much closer we are becoming. There is one thing I just don’t understand about him though… He doesn’t like broccoli! Call me crazy, but I absolutely love broccoli.
When I was a kid, broccoli was one of the vegetables I happily enjoyed. I’ve gotten him into mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, and kale, but he won’t budge on this broccoli thing. UGH! Because I rarely have broccoli, I’m a bit crazy when I do get to enjoy it out at restaurants or when I’m back home.
Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
Broccoli potato soup, like all soups, can be a healthy option or an indulgent one depending on what else you put into the mix. I’ve seen many similar soups with a meat base (usually pork of some sort). I also see a number of broccoli potato soup offerings loaded with cream and/or butter.
This recipe, however, banks on the deliciousness of the plant-based ingredients, so you don’t have to feel bogged down. And if you do want a small indulgence, you can add a dab of butter or cream at the end, but I don’t think it needs it.
If you skip the butter or cream in the soup, you can all eat buttery toast with this soup! And since we know I’ll be eating this whole batch of soup on my own, I appreciate guilt-free deliciousness!
If you love broccoli (or just have a fair bit on your hands), you’ll also want to try this broccoli potato soup (vegan), this roasted grape and broccoli salad, our go to prosciutto broccoli floret appetizer, this cashew, broccoli pasta (vegan) and our healthy sesame chicken with broccoli.
In need of more yummy soups? This one pot lentil soup has been my favorite recipes for years as has this pea soup (both vegan). This turkey chili with white beans (easily subbed with chicken) is a favorite for my husband!
VEGAN BROCCOLI POTATO SOUP
- 2-3 cups peeled cubed red or gold potatoes
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli stem and florets
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in large pot with lid over medium heat. Add garlic and potatoes. Season with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Saute two minutes, stirring once. Add broccoli, cumin, and ginger. Stir to combine. Cover. Cook five minutes.
- Uncover. Add 1 Cup of broth. Scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to remove any residue from cooking. Add two cups broth. Cover and bring to boil. Boil five minutes.
- Reduce heat. Simmer ten minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let sit five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Leave a Reply