During my last family visit, I whipped up a broccoli potato soup similar to this and was surprised at how flavorful it was. The potato adds a thicker consistency and the broth makes this soup super flavorful!
There are many things I love about my husband. It’s crazy how similar we are and how much closer we are becoming. There is one thing I just don’t understand about him though… He doesn’t like broccoli! Call me crazy, but I absolutely love broccoli. When I was a kid, broccoli was one of the vegetables I happily enjoyed.
I’ve gotten him into mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, and kale, but he won’t budge on this broccoli thing. UGH! Because I rarely have broccoli, I’m a bit crazy when I do get to enjoy it out at restaurants or when I’m back home.
Healthy Broccoli Potato Soup
Broccoli potato soup, like all soups, can be a healthy option or an indulgent one depending on what else you put into the mix. I’ve seen many similar soups with a meat base (usually pork of some sort).
I also see a number of broccoli potato soup offerings loaded with cream and/or butter. This recipe, however, banks on the deliciousness of the plant-based ingredients, so you don’t have to feel guilty.
And if you do want a small indulgence, you can add a dab of butter or cream at the end, but I don’t think it needs it. If you skip the butter or cream in the soup, you can all eat buttery toast with this soup fairly guilt-free! And since we know I’ll be eating this whole batch of soup on my own, I appreciate guilt-free deliciousness!
BROCCOLI POTATO SOUP
Growing up, broccoli was one of the very few vegetables I tolerated. Now I love it and can't get enough ways to eat it. I made this broccoli potato soup into hearty, healthy dinner that's so inexpensive and easy - perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 2-3 cups peeled cubed red or gold potatoes
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli stem and florets
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil in large pot with lid over medium heat. Add garlic and potatoes. Season with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Saute two minutes, stirring once. Add broccoli, cumin, and ginger. Stir to combine. Cover. Cook five minutes.
- Uncover. Add 1 Cup of broth. Scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to remove any residue from cooking. Add two cups broth. Cover and bring to boil. Boil five minutes.
- Reduce heat. Simmer ten minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let sit five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.