Breakfast bowls are all the rage – at least here in LA. It’s a super straightforward dish really – whole grains topped with eggs, veggies, meat, and whatever else sounds good. And I really like them, but like all breakfast foods, I like them for dinner…including this healthy sweet potato breakfast bowl recipe!
I tend to be a light eater in the early hours of the day and, really, through the afternoon. But come dinnertime, I WANT FOOD!!! And since you know as well as I do that whole grains and veggies are basically always on the menu, these whole grain bowls are pretty much a tri-weekly affair.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
Trying to keep it delicious and filling for my husband, however (bless his patient, food-loving soul), I usually like to mix up the protein.
My guy loves sausage of any kind, but I love getting the al fresco all natural fully cooked chicken sausage since it’s so much healthier than its pork counterpart and, quite frankly, I like it so much better! So you can bet this healthy chicken sausage recipe is a sure win every single time…
Healthy Sausage Recipe
This healthy recipe for a grain bowl is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner depending on your needs and wants. I also love that it comes together so quickly and is a great way to use up extra roasted veggies. Have I piqued your interest yet?
The recipe below calls for cooked rice and roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts (get the trick to brussel sprouts without the bitterness here). Honestly, you could do bell peppers and mushrooms. Or zucchini and leeks. And you can saute them if you want.
You do whatever sounds good. Or whatever you have in your kitchen (the bigger reality). The type of produce you use doesn’t matter. And in case you didn’t read between the lines there – this recipe call for whatever veggies you have in your kitchen, including the leftover ones!!
And since I’m giving you leeway to do pretty much whatever you want in this healthy sausage recipe, you can go all quinoa. or couscous. or farro. It doesn’t matter. With the whole grains, chicken sausage, and veggies, you can’t lose. And with the deliciousness of fresh lemon zest and avocado, you’ll be doing a happy dance in no time!
Looking for other recipes with chicken sausage? Try this one pot sausage pasta for dinner, a delicious fall salad topped with sliced chicken sausage, the most beautiful smoked sausage skillet with veggies, and this meal-prep sausage and polenta.
SWEET POTATO BREAKFAST BOWL
- 1 cup cooked brown rice/quinoa I like to do a mix
- ½ teaspoon good olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives or green onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chicken sausage of choice
- ½ cup roasted sweet potatoes
- ½ cup roasted brussel sprouts recipe here
- 1 egg
- avocado lemon zest, and chives for garnish
- Bring a small pot of water to a simmer to poach the egg. Crack the egg into a small cup. When water is simmering, gently drop egg into water. Cover, turn off heat, and let sit 3-4 minutes. Remove from water with slotted spoon.
- Meanwhile, heat a small fry pan over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Add in sausage – whole or cut into pieces. Cook until desired doneness (we like ours a little crispy!).
- While sausage is cooking, mix rice/quinoa with olive oil, zest, chives, and salt and pepper. Place in bowl.
- Top rice with veggies, sausage, and egg. Add avocado, chives, and lemon zest to taste. Hot sauce is also a great addition!!
Thank you to al fresco all natural for sponsoring this post.