For whatever reason, the idea of a chicken sausage salad didn’t happen until recently. Why? I have no idea, but I recently added chicken sausage to my Fall salad -inspired lunch and now I can’t stop!
While we think of easy meals in the hot heat of summer, I’m game for easy meals year round (just not every day maybe). This Fall salad has been perfect on busy days when I don’t have much time to put together a lunch but need so good food in my world to keep working!
The idea for the chicken sausage salad came when I thought some rotisserie style chicken would be good atop my salad. Except we didn’t have any, so facing the facts of life, I opened the refrigerator to see what my easy protein options were….and there was the chicken sausage!
Chicken Sausage Salad
What I love about this particular chicken sausage salad recipe is that I almost always have all the ingredients on hand – some type of salad greens, apples, onions, maple syrup, pecans, and either feta or goat cheese!
Do You Have to Cook Chicken Sausage?
So, GENERALLY, packaged sausage is pre-cooked, so you wouldn’t have to cook the sausage unless you wanted it warm (or with crispy edges like my husband).
If you buy sausage from a butcher case or the deli, however, those are often uncooked, so you’ll ABSOLUTELY need to cook them.
Packaging will always tell you if the meat is cooked or not, so just look before you throw away the packaging!
Fall Salad Topping Ideas
This particular chicken sausage salad with fall flavors features maple syrup in the dressing, pecans, and sliced apples.
You could easily do pear slices and switch up the nuts for almonds or walnuts. You can add some dried cranberries if you don’t have the fresh fruit and, obviously, switch out what cheese you crumble on top!!
Looking for other recipes with chicken sausage? Try this delicious smoked sausage skillet with veggies, this meal-prep sausage and polenta, and butternut squash pasta with sausage. And don’t skip this easy chicken sausage breakfast bowl that’s SUCH a good, easy dinner idea!
CHICKEN SAUSAGE SALAD
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 8 cups mixed lettuce greens
- 1 apple cored and sliced
- ¼ of a large red onion sliced
chicken sausageflavor of choice - I like Chicken Apple
- ½ cup roasted chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a small jar with a lid. Secure the lid and shake well for 30 seconds to blend all ingredients. Set it aside.
- Add the greens to a large salad bowl. Top with the apple, onion, and warm sausage. Add the pecans and feta. Toss gently to mix the salad ingredients. Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving, or serve the dressing on the side.