Since moving in together nearly four years ago, my guy and I figured out two things that keep us both happy. I make him lunch almost every day and he makes our bed (I’ve just about forgotten how to do that by now). Second, whoever cooks dinner, the other one of us does the dishes. Even though I’m usually the one cooking and he’s doing the dishes, I’m very mindful of cutting down on the number of dishes, especially pots and pans. Anytime I can use one pot instead of two, I’m all in, which is what makes this one pot shrimp and rice recipe all the more amazing! Another favorite one pot meal is this peas + pasta – so, so easy!
Shrimp and rice recipes
Shrimp and rice recipes just make so much sense. It’s so easy to add great flavor to shrimp and the rice is the perfect compliment to balance out the flavor. I used a wild rice blend in this recipe because it looked so pretty. You could easily use white rice or brown rice.
After making the recipe, I realized I could have added more greens to the pan. Ya know I didn’t complain too much. The crispy pancetta bits in the rice were a welcome treat and the flavor of the shrimp was spot on.
You could absolutely use bacon if that suits your fancy/you have it on hand. I prefer the flavor and thicker cut of pancetta, but the flavor addition will be great either way! I’m not sure exactly what cuisine this was inspired by (I’m thinking Southern), but I love it either way!!
ONE POT SHRIMP + RICE
My husband very kindly does the dishes when I make dinner. No matter who's doing the dirty work, however, I love saving on pots and pans to clean. This one-pot recipe is packed full of flavor and all the magic happens in just one dutch oven!
- 5 oz. diced pancetta or bacon
- 2 cups broth
- 1 cup wild rice medley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 5-6 cups kale chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 lb raw shrimp
- Over medium heat, cook pancetta until crispy, mixing around frequently (approximately 10-12 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Spoon pancetta onto paper towel-lined serving dish. Add a few tablespoons of chicken broth to pot. Beware of steam. With wooden spoon, scrape crispy pancetta pieces from bottom of pan.
- Return pot to high heat. Add remaining broth and rice. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer thirty minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prep shrimp - remove shells if not shelled. Pat dry with paper towel. Season both sides of shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Remove rice from heat. Let sit five minutes. Add pancetta to rice. Remove rice and pancetta to serving dish.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add kale, chili flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Saute kale 2-3 minutes until oil is absorbed. Cover. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Spoon kale over rice mixture.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shrimp in a single layer. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until completely pink. Place shrimp over kale.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo