Every once in awhile, I like to pretend I need crackers in my life. Their carby nature is delicious, of course, but crackers are a good, crunchy snack. I love them on their own and with toppings. My favorite cracker toppings include peanut butter (duh!) and greek yogurt with jam. It satisfies my afternoon and late night sweet cravings in a heartbeat. With this major love for crackers, I don’t know how I sometimes convince myself that I don’t need them. And what usually happens when I try to quit them cold turkey? I end up baking a batch of homemade crackers to satisfy my cravings. I made homemade wheat thins a few years ago. Then I figured out those Trader Joe’s raisin & rosemary crackers a few months ago. And now, it’s these cheese + herb crackers.
For this cracker recipe, I went a little overboard with the cheese – not necessarily in the quantity but in the variety. I love cheddar cheese crackers, but then parmesan cheese is just so good with fresh herbs. And I had parmesan cheese in my cheese drawer. So, you know what, I added some parmesan cheese into my crackers. And, honestly, I’m not ashamed. These crackers are AMAZING! I will likely embarrass myself and just eat this whole batch of crackers out of the container (meant to slow me down – HAH!), but there are so many other options.
These crackers would be great with a charcuterie board, some jam selections at tea time, with a delicious soup, with a salad, really with whatever you’re having! So enjoy this cheesy goodness and let’s just accept we all need crackers on hand all the time!
CHEESE CRACKERS RECIPE
I'm a cracker aficionado and always have them in my cupboards. Whenever I can, however, I love to make homemade crackers. They have such tasty flavors and you can add fresh herbs, salt, and even cheese in the case of this recipe! You'll be a cracker monster too in no time!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray one large bread loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, cheese, and herbs. Add in buttermilk. Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let bread come to room temperature. Wrap in foil. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight. Cold bread helps with thinner slicing.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove bread from freezer. Let sit 5-10 minutes to thaw slightly.
- With a serrated knife, cut 1/8-inch slices. Slices should be as uniform as possible. Place slices cut side down on an ungreased pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until crackers are a golden brown and corners are crispy. Let cool for a few hours to dry.
- Crackers are best enjoyed day of baking. Can be dried out again in toaster oven or oven at 300 degrees for 3-5 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo