I have this dream that I’m a mixologist in the making. I’m not, but let’s indulge my dreams here just for today! I’m proud of my sangria recipes, but past that I don’t really experiment enough with homemade cocktails…until this Irish whiskey cocktail I just created that is AMAZING!
When we’re out to dinner, I like to try cocktails. I feel that mixology is an extension of the art of recipe creation and I just love the creativity. And partly because a good cocktail is just downright delicious!
I don’t like overly sweet sips, so that cuts out quite a few items on the menu for me. For the last year or two, my go-to cocktail base has been whiskey – and often an old-fashioned!
I enjoy whiskey, and whiskey cocktails usually have a more robust flavor. This apple whiskey cocktail is exactly that – a balanced but robust-flavored drink.
Irish Whiskey Cocktail
The first step to making this drink is to infuse whiskey with fresh ginger. The ginger whiskey creates a bold base that’s perfect with the easy addition of honey and sparkling apple juice.
I rather like sparkling apple juice – on its own actually, but it’s also heavenly in a cocktail. I personally prefer whiskey with apple, but I know there are more options out there.
I made this drink with apple slices to add some green to the cocktail for St. Patrick’s Day this week. And the turbinado sugar and honey rim resembles gold, doesn’t it? It’s secretly super festive while being enjoyable for everyone to enjoy…
You can easily omit the apples and/or the sugared rim, however, for a more classic looking cocktail.
Ginger Infused Whiskey
To make the ginger whiskey, combine freshly grated ginger with whiskey and let it chill. If you love a strong ginger flavor, feel free to add more and/or let it sit longer. If fresh ginger isn’t your thing, you can do a shorter time in the refrigerator.
I’d recommend straining the ginger before shaking your cocktail, so nobody is greeted with those slivers of ginger. Sometimes you just want a straightforward cocktail!
What to Serve with an Irish Whiskey Cocktail
If you’re making a cocktail, you definitely need some tasty food to enjoy with it!
If you’re celebrating St. Patrick’s Days, this St. Patrick’s Day Appetizer Board is perfect for the holiday.
More Fall Drinks
IRISH WHISKEY COCKTAIL
- 1 – 1½ teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- ½ cup Irish Whiskey
- 4 oz. ginger whiskey
- 12 oz. Sparkling Apple Cider or Juice chilled
- 2 teaspoons honey
- green apple thinly sliced
- ice spheres for serving
- Combine shredded ginger and whiskey in sealed container. Refrigerate 1-2 hours. The longer it sits, the stronger the ginger flavor will be. Strain ginger if desired.
- Warm honey in small bowl for 5 seconds to thin.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine ginger whiskey, sparkling apple juice, warmed honey, and ice.
- In two single barrel or wide-mouth glasses, place ice spheres and apple slices. Divide cocktail between two glasses.
- NOTE: To make the garnished rim, dip the glass in honey and then in turbinado sugar. Can drip easily, so freeze until ready to serve.