Summer cookouts scream sides like potato salad and coleslaw. I grew up hating both…until I realized that I really just don’t like the ones from the grocery store deli section. Homemade coleslaw and potato salad, especially ones that are mayo free, are actually quite delicious
I don’t actually hate mayonnaise, but I don’t love anything drenched in mayo. It has a purpose in salads, sauces, and on sandwiches. It’s too easily overdone, however, and we just gotta stop that madness!
No Mayo Coleslaw
The first time I remember having a no mayo coleslaw was with the most amazing meal of fish & chips I’ve had (outside of the UK). It was in Astoria, Oregon – on the coast at a local brewery.
I remember they used rockfish and served it with a vinegar-based slaw. The whole meal was AMAZING! Since then, I’ve also seriously enjoyed some coleslaw on great sandwiches.
Funny enough, two of those times were at the best Vancouver restaurants. I had a slaw on a pulled pork sandwich and then a few days later on a fried chicken sandwich. You all. Before this trip, I never would have ordered either. And now, I’m hard pressed to skip these two things if they’re ever on a menu.
Apparently I’m a changed woman! I also have a newfound appreciation for some great slaw.
So I actually think creating a dairy free coleslaw is more difficult on the first try. The acidity can easily be overdone. This no mayo coleslaw calls for a dab of yogurt, which helps to mellow the flavors.
If you’re planning to use a non-dairy yogurt, opt for plain still and do a taste test before adding in the sugar. The flavors are different enough that you may need less sugar.
MAYO FREE COLESLAW
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 green onion green and white portion sliced
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh dill
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the cabbage, carrot, green onion, and dill to a large bowl. Toss to mix the ingredients.
- In a small bowl stir together the yogurt, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until smooth. Pour over the vegetables.
- Stir well until all ingredients are combined. Serve right away or chill for up to 30 minutes before serving.