I take a small amount of pride in being comfortable cooking a decently wide range of vegetables. Don’t give me anything out of the ordinary, but for the most part, I’m there. Except with radicchio; I have no idea where to start. So let’s start here with this simple radicchio salad…
Simple Radicchio Salad
What is Radicchio?
Not a crazy question. It’s the purple stuff you see in a lot of dishes that isn’t cabbage! Maybe that doesn’t help a whole lot because the two things look very similar…
So, radicchio is often used in Italian cooking and is commonly referred to as Italian chicory. It has a spicy and bitter taste that mellows when it’s cooked or grilled (so let’s cook or grill it for now!)
Radicchio vs. Red Cabbage though?
Radicchio tends to be purple and white, with variations. Red cabbage (it looks purple) is primarily that bright purple color.
If you’re looking for what to do with red cabbage, this quick pickled cabbage is a delicious place to start!
Ok. So now that we know what we’re talking about. That “spicy and bitter” part is why I’ve been a little nervous trying it until now. Instead, let’s focus on how the flavor lightens and brightens when it’s cooked or grilled.
And when in doubt, add some delicious sweet corn that’s thankfully still very much in season!
What to Serve it With?
This simple radicchio salad is a perfect side to just about anything. My first thought is pulled pork or a fried chicken sandwich. Man, I must be hungry! It’d be a great side dish to any grilled meat or fish is what I’m trying to say!
The ingredients will also store well if you need to make this a little ahead of time!
Get more salad recipes here and more summer salads everyone will love!
SIMPLE RADICCHIO SALAD
You'll love this simple radicchio salad recipe. Combined w. fresh corn and herbs, this salad is intricately delectable from beginning to end.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ears yellow sweet corn
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small head radicchio, sliced
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- To make the salad, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. While the oil heats, cut the kernels from each ear of corn. Add them to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes. Until the corn softens and turns bright yellow. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- While the corn cools, make the dressing. Add the dressing ingredients to a single-serve blender. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- Add the radicchio to the bowl with the corn. Pour in the dressing and toss all ingredients together. Transfer to a serving bowl or plate. Sprinkle with the feta and cilantro leaves before serving.
Save this recipe on Pinterest here!
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out…
PINTEREST: Upload a photo and your review to this Pin!
INSTAGRAM: Tag me @lucismorsels and use #LMrecipes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 149Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
The nutritional values provided here are not guaranteed, nor does Luci's Morsels accept responsibility for the accuracy of these numbers. Be sure to calculate on your own terms with the ingredients you use. We love you!
Andrea Metlika says
This is a fabulous salad. Love the combination of radicchio with corn and feta.
Melissa Altman-Traub says
Thank you for sharing this recipe. I have never thought t pair lime juice with radicchio, and I think they would work very well together.
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
This looks like such a delicious side salad – full of crunch and flavour!
Looks like something my family would love! Can’t wait to try it.
Bless my food by payal says
That’s such a fabulous salad I can enjoy anytime. Yum