This oven roasted vegetable pasta looks like a presentation in some ways, but it couldn’t be easier!
We love having people over for dinner. It’s a great way to catch up with friends for a few hours in the comfort of our home. Shoes are optional and, since we live in LA, we don’t have to worry about reservations or the restaurant needing our table.
Half of the time, however, we decide after lunch one day that we want to have friends over for dinner. I usually don’t have anything planned and I really don’t want to stress out about it.
I might make a trip to the market, but for the most part I opt for a super easy dish I can throw together with little effort. Lately, it’s been some version of this oven roasted vegetable pasta dish with a light sauce.
Roasted Vegetable Pasta
This roasted veggie pasta is a vegetarian recipe as written below, but you can use it easily as a base for adding meat or seafood, or you can omit the cheese to make it vegan.
We’ve served it with sausage, sautéed shrimp, and turkey meatballs – each on more than one occasion. Served with salad and bread, it’s an easy meal that everyone will love.
The only problem is that you might not have many leftovers…
How to Make Sauce w. Pasta Water
One of the keys to getting a light sauce without it being oily is to use some of the starchy cooking water from the pasta. It binds with the pasta and the oil, giving you the moisture with tons of flavor and extra oil!
And I always like adding chili flakes to the top of my oven roasted vegetable pasta dishes. They are wonderfully light, but I love the extra level of flavor from those occasional kicky bites.
Want some other good pasta recipes? This lemon tuna pasta is easy, inexpensive and delicious! Simpler versions (great as a side dish too) are peas and pasta and this one pot summer veggie pasta is a mandatory one in our house.
You must try this cabbage pasta – a great weeknight dinner that filling but not heavy!
Recipes with Chickpeas
Chickpeas are really common, but how many recipes do we really know about with them? I usually can’t think of many.
This superfoods spinach pasta salad also uses them for some good protein in a veggie-packed dish.
ROASTED VEGETABLE PASTA
- 1 lb dry pasta
- 6 cups chopped vegetables mushrooms, zucchini, and onions used here
- 15 oz chickpeas drained
- olive oil
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- chili flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine chopped vegetables with two tablespoons olive oil, one teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roast 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions. Just before adding pasta to boiling water, add 1-2 tablespoons each olive oil and salt.
- Before draining pasta, reserves 1-2 cups starchy cooking liquid.
- In a large serving dish or pot, combine roasted vegetables, cooked pasta, and drained chickpeas. Add 1 cup reserved cooking liquid, 2 tablespoons good olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining cooking liquid if desired. Top with crumbled goat cheese.