I’m barely making it this month with my salad! How is September almost over? Aren’t we still celebrating my birthday? This month flew by for me, but I’m happy that at least the calendar thinks it’s fall. We’re still expecting temps in the 80s all week, so who knows when I’ll be wearing jeans on a daily basis again… One thing I love about changing seasons is the ability to mix the flavors and produce of both seasons for a short period – hence this beet + corn salad!
Beet + Corn Salad
I hated beets growing up. My mom always snatched the beets off of my salads, which was kind of out of character for her, but now I totally get it. Now we fight over them at the dinner table! We don’t actually, but we always cook up or request extra because we know there won’t be enough to satiate our love! I’m discovering just how versatile beets are, pairing well even with strong, savory flavors. There’s quite a bit of green onion in this mix, but the sweetness of the fresh beets and the neutrality along with the crunchiness of the corn, just make it all so seamless!
Cold Beet Salad
I first made this beet and corn salad a few weeks ago to enjoy with my brown rice fritter that I made with quinoa instead of rice. It was quite tasty on top and had a nice crunch that complemented the fritter well! Because of the vinegar-relish flavor, I wasn’t sure my guy was going to like it. Wrong! He ate most of that batch and requested I make it again.
I think you could easily substitute the cilantro for italian parsley or mint. We aren’t parsley fans, however, and my guy doesn’t enjoy mint as much as I do. Of course, maybe if I made it with mint, I could enjoy more of it without him eating it all! That would be mean. But I might consider it…
FRESH BEET + CORN SALAD
Many of the most delicious salads I've ever had are really just combinations of flavors I love. This corn and beet salad is just such a combo. The trick to a good salad is not just balancing the flavors but also the consistencies. The crunchy corn kernels balance the soft beets perfectly. You keep reaching for bite after bite!
- 3 medium beets cooked + chopped (approx. 2 1/2 Cups)
- 2 ears corn shucked
- 1 large bunch green onions chopped (approx. 1 Cup)
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped (can substitute parsley or mint)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 5-6 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to taste
- To cook beets, remove stems. Place in bowl with 1 inch water. Microwave for ten minutes, covered. Let cool. Remove skin. Cut beets in half. Cut side down, slice into small pieces and then cut each slice into small pieces. For relish, chop beets finely.
- After shucking the corn, cut kernels from cob. Stand cob up in wide bowl or on cutting board. With finger on tip, use a sharp knife to carefully cut down each side of the cob.
- Combine cut beets, corn kernels, chopped green onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar. Mix well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before enjoying.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo