I have this dream that I’m a mixologist in the making. I’m not, but let’s divulge my dreams here just for today! I’m proud of my sangria recipes, but past that I don’t really experiment enough with homemade cocktails. When we’re out to dinner, I like to try cocktails partly because I think they’re an extension of the art of recipe creation of food and love the creativity. And partly because a good cocktail is just downright delicious! I don’t like overly sweet sips, so that cuts out quite a few items on the menu for me. For the last year or two, my go-to cocktail base has been whiskey. I enjoy whiskey, and whiskey cocktails usually have a more robust flavor. This Irish Whiskey Cocktail is exactly that – a balanced but robust-flavored drink.
Irish Whiskey Cocktail
The fresh ginger and the whiskey provide a bold base while the dash of honey and IZZE sparkling apple juice make it an enjoyable sip. The apple slices are a fun touch to add some green to the cocktail. Since St. Patrick’s Day is this week, it seemed like a grand idea. And the turbinado sugar and honey rim resembles gold, doesn’t it? It’s secretly super festive while being enjoyable for everyone to enjoy…
To make the ginger whiskey, combine freshly grated ginger with whiskey and let it chill. If you love a strong ginger flavor, feel free to add more and/or let it sit longer. If fresh ginger isn’t your thing, you can do a shorter time in the refrigerator and I’d recommend straining the ginger before shaking your cocktail. Finished off with the sparkling apple juice from IZZE, it’s a delicious irish whiskey cocktail that I’ll be whipping up long past March 17th!
IRISH WHISKEY COCKTAIL
When faced with a cocktail menu, I usually opt for whiskey drinks as they're usually not on the sweet side, which I prefer. This whiskey cocktail mixes the hearty spirit with some sweet flavors for the ultimate (and ultimately easy) drink perfect for St. Patrick's Day or any day of the year really!
- 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup Irish Whiskey
- Combine shredded ginger and whiskey in sealed container. Refrigerate 1-2 hours. The longer it sits, the stronger the ginger flavor will be. Strain ginger if desired.
- Warm honey in small bowl for 5 seconds to thin.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine ginger whiskey, sparkling apple juice, warmed honey, and ice.
- In two single barrel or wide-mouth glasses, place ice spheres and apple slices. Divide cocktail between two glasses.
- NOTE: To make the garnished rim, dip the glass in honey and then in turbinado sugar. Can drip easily, so freeze until ready to serve.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo
Thank you to IZZE for sponsoring this post.