Cinco de Mayo is in two weeks, which is reason enough for me to come up with a few new twists on my favorite homemade Mexican recipes. This Cinco de Mayo Balance Bowl is really a glorified taco salad or deconstructed burrito and it is so easy and so delicious. I have a super indulgent recipe coming next week (stay tuned!), so I wanted to make sure I provided a healthy option, since that’s my normal M.O. with recipe sharing around here. This Mexican-inspired balance bowl was a no brainer. If you haven’t tried sweet potatoes in your tacos yet, then I highly encourage you to do it ASAP. Sweet potato and avocado is one of my top culinary combinations (see this healthy 7 layer dip here that converted me). I really think you’ll love it!
If you’re wondering what food bloggers actually eat, you are pretty much looking at it with this balance bowl. With busy schedules and days ending in two trips to Trader Joe’s, forgetting to get something for dinner each time, I’m big on meals involving roasted veggies and whole grains. And at least half the time, those dinners have Mexican flavors. The best part about this setup is that each person can make their own. My husband likes to make burritos while I prefer a salad. We’re both pleased with dinner and we’re both content and full afterwards. It surprises me how much we still love these super simple homemade Mexican nights, but who am I to complain about the tasty, easy situation?
Click to Download My Free eBook:
How to make Perfect Rice/Quinoa in Your Rice Cooker
& 5 Delicious Recipes
CINCO DE MAYO BALANCE BOWL
- roasted sweet potatoes
- charred corn
- grilled chicken
- onions + peppers
- black beans
- cooked brown rice/quinoa blend
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop sweet potato into bite sized pieces. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt + pepper. Roast 20-30 minutes until tender.
- Steam corn in microwave or on stovetop. To steam corn in microwave, place in microwave-safe bowl. Add a few tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave 5-7 minutes. To char corn (optional), place of hot bbq or grill pan, rotating every few minutes. Slice kernels of corn cob.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and season with fajita seasoning mix. Sear both sides evenly until chicken is cooked through. Remove to plate and cover with foil for 5 minutes to maintain juiciness. Chop into bite sized pieces.
ONIONS + PEPPERS
- To enjoy warm, cook black beans in liquid on low heat 5 minutes until warm. To enjoy cool, drain and rinse black beans before topping bowl.
COOKED BROWN RICE/QUINOA BLEND
- Use one-half brown rice and one-half quinoa. Cook in rice cooker for best results.
- Layer1 cup rice/quinoa blend in bowl. Top with sweet potatoes, corn, chicken, vegetables, beans, and avocado. Enjoy with hot sauce!
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo