Leftover Turkey Chili
Thanksgiving dinner is a funny thing. There are so many traditional and “must-have” dishes that it’s hard to incorporate anything new. Yet all of us food lovers want to try new recipes and what better time than with a crowd? In our family, each person has their pick and at the end of the day, there isn’t much room for innovation. So, let’s get innovative with leftovers, shall we? And first up, this leftover turkey chili with white beans.
The recipe is incredibly easy and you likely have everything on hand, but it’s important to note the salt situation. Oftentimes turkey, stock, and even canned beans are all loaded with salt. If you throw them all together in a pot, you’ll have a mouth-puckering experience on your hands. So be sure to use low-no sodium ingredients where noted and I’d avoid salting until the very end when you taste it all together!
Leftover Turkey Recipes
Growing up, I sometimes looked forward to the leftover turkey recipes my mom routinely made after Thanksgiving more than the main meal itself. My favorite? A turkey alfredo pasta situation – simply with pasta, turkey pieces, and a jar of alfredo sauce. If I remember correctly, she mixed sour cream into the sauce to make it creamier too. No surprise why I love it so much, right? I also created my own leftover turkey carnitas recipe a few years ago that’s delicious and quite easy – my husband requests it with chicken quite a bit. You can eat it in tacos, on nachos, or in a burrito!
But this turkey chili situation might be a new favorite. It might be the sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla chips on top, but even that turkey is calling my name – a rare feat after such a feast! If you play your cards right, you have three nights of deliciousness planned with these leftover turkey recipes! Good luck saving enough turkey!
Click to Download My Free eBook:
How to make Perfect Rice/Quinoa in Your Rice Cooker
& 5 Delicious Recipes
Leftover Turkey Chili w. White Beans
Stuck with leftover turkey but can't stand the thought of another sandwich? Try this delicious leftover turkey chili with white beans for a scrumptious dinner after the holiday is over! You can use shredded chicken and you can actually enjoy this recipe year round!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 4 oz. can green chilies
- 15 oz low-sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups shredded turkey
- 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt*
- To serve: chopped cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla chips
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high in a large soup pot. Add the onion and then the garlic and cook for 3 minutes, just until the onion begins to soften. Stir in the chili powder and cumin to coat the onion.
- Pour in the chicken stock and stir well. Add the chilies and the beans. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the turkey and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in salt to taste.
- Serve topped with cilantro, sour cream and crumbled tortilla chips.
*The amount of salted needed will depend on the seasoning of the leftover turkey you use.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo