Last year in London, we stayed at an AirBnB in the area of Farringdon as we’d done a few years previous. It’s a lovely area north of the river and popular tourist destinations. It’s full of locals and a slurry of great restaurants. Every time we’re in the neighborhood, we enjoy returning to a few favorite restaurants and trying all the new ones. Last year, we tried one new (to us) place and devoured their roasted carrots with peanut sauce…
I’ve never enjoyed steamed carrots. I’ll eat carrots raw and alone (though give me an indulgent creamy dip any day). I’ll even dip them into peanut butter happily too. But steamed? Blah. So cooked carrots were never a favorite of mine.
Somewhere along the line, however, I roasted them. I can’t remember if I had them at a restaurant once (probably) or had the genius idea on my own (not so likely), but now we kind of love roasted carrots.
Actually I just remembered…I cohosted a Weight Watchers event in LA and my dish to share was farro with roasted carrots. My cohosts were offering a dip and dessert (usually fan favorites), but my little dish was by far and away the favorite!
Anyway. If you haven’t tried roasting carrots, you absolutely should. It’s super easy and a great way to enjoy these root veggies. Did you know they were great sources of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants? I had no idea!
So while the US is all for peanut butter as a condiment (is that the right word?), other countries use it as a sauce ingredient much more frequently and it’s such a good idea!
If you love peanut sauce in Thai dishes, then this is exactly what you’re going to get with this roasted dish. The salty, tanginess of the curry peanut sauce recipe below pairs so perfectly with the sweet roasted carrots. It’s truly a match made in heaven we don’t enjoy nearly enough!!
ROASTED CARROTS w. PEANUT SAUCE
If you love roasted carrots, like I do, then you'll love this recipe. Inspired by a dish served at a London eatery, these roasted carrots take on a whole new flavor profile with a curry peanut sauce that will have everyone reaching for seconds!
- 1 pound small to medium carrots peeled if desired (about 8 carrots)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup unsweetened, salted peanut butter salted peanut butter (previously chilled)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- Cilantro for garnish
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the carrots onto a rimmed baking sheet. Coat with the olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes. Stir gently. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until they reach your desired tenderness. Baking times will depend on the size of the carrots. About 30 minutes for medium carrots leaves them tender with a slightly crunchy bite.
- About 10 minutes before the carrots are done. Add the peanut butter to a small saucepan. Stir and warm over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons of water and continue to stir constantly, about 2 minutes. Add the lime juice, stir well. Add additional water to reach your desired sauce consistency. Stir well between each addition to ensure the water is completely blended in. Stir in the curry powder and sugar. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the carrots to a serving bowl. Top with some sauce and garnish with cilantro and peanuts. Serve extra sauce on the side.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo