It’s a funny thing. I can tell you what I’m taking to a dinner party this weekend and what dessert I’m baking for Thanksgiving next week, but I have no idea what I’m making for dinner tonight. I spend much of my day proud of myself for being so organized and then around 4, I stop in my tracks and realize I have no plans for dinner that night. I sincerely hope I’m not the only one who struggles with this. Luckily this easy vegetarian pasta recipe is always a hit. It’s possibly my favorite dinner. Peas and pasta!! So simple. So tasty.
Healthy Vegetarian Pasta Recipes
It’s times like these when I’m thankful for those very few recipes that can be made with whatever I have in my kitchen. This vegetarian pasta recipe is just pasta, frozen peas, spinach, olive oil, salt, pepper, and butter (if I’m feeling a little splurgy). It’s delicious just like this, but it’s also an incredibly easy base for whatever else is in your kitchen…
One Pot Pasta Recipes
You can add beans (I like chickpeas), cheese, or fry an egg on top. If you have meat-eaters at your table, add leftover chicken, quickly sauté some shrimp or grill a sausage to serve on the side. It’s also delicious (and a little fancy) with toasted nuts, chili flakes, and parmesan cheese on top. It comes together in one pot and in less than thirty minutes, which is hard to beat come dinner time.
PEAS + PASTA | EASY ONE POT VEGETARIAN MEAL
I created this recipe out of necessity when I was in grad school. With little indulgence in the way of food and not a lot of extra brainpower after reading and writing all day, this quick and easy peas and pasta dish always hit the spot. It's great as a side or main and on its own or with a tasty protein. We love adding turkey meatballs or grilled shrimp!
- 1 lb pasta bowtie, penne, + orecchiette are great
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter optional
- optional toppings: parmesan cheese, chopped toasted nuts, chili flakes optional add-ins: garbanzo beans, crumbled pancetta, sausage, shredded chicken, sauteed shrimp, eggs
- Fill large pot (with lid) one-half to two-thirds full of water. Bring to boil. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons salt to water before adding pasta.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding one minute to cooking time. With two minutes remaining on cook time, add peas. Drain pasta. Return to pot.* Add spinach. Cover two minutes to begin wilting spinach. Add two tablespoons olive oil, one teaspoon each salt and freshly cracked pepper, and butter (if using). Stir to melt butter and mix thoroughly.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings.
- *If adding beans, meat, or fish, combine with pasta once returned to pot. Meat and fish will need to be cooked separately beforehand.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo