Whenever we do the Fresno Fruit Trail, I’m usually so excited for the berries, I underestimate the stone fruits and how much I love them (not to mention how inexpensive they are). This year was different, however. I started dreaming up stone fruit recipes, knowing that I would just eat the berries by the handful – never letting them get close to a recipe! Peaches and nectarines have so much natural sweetness that they’re great in desserts and in savory dishes. As luck would have it, other delicious flavors converged in my fridge around the time we brought home the fruit and this peach corn salad with green beans was born! The dressing is light but flavorful. With a hint of ginger and garlic, it really holds up to the salad and brings the summer produce together. The starchiness of the corn absorbs the dressing so well that it really becomes the star of this dish even amidst the delicious peaches and haricots vert (french green beans). Talk about a corn salad with summer fruits and vegetables that’s perfect…
If you’ve never done an ice bath with your veggies before, not to worry. The ice bath stops the cooking process, so you can get lightly cooked veggies and not soggy ones that have lost their flavor and color. All you do is put a bunch of ice in a large bowl. Fill it with water (leaving a few inches for the veggies). And the second you pull your veggies out of the pot or microwave, use tongs to put them in the ice bath. et voile, they’re chilled, still a bit crunchy, and still loaded with flavor in a matter of minutes!
GREEN BEAN, CORN, + PEACH SALAD
If you need a recipe that screams summer, it's probably this salad. Three of my favorite summer flavors combine in the salad. Everyone will be reaching for seconds!
- 12 oz. haricots verts OR green beans cut into 3" pieces
- 2 ears of corn shucked
- 2 ripe peaches sliced
- ice bath
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- microwave method
- Place ears of corn in microwave safe bowl with 2 tablespoons water. Cover. Microwave 4 minutes. Remove corn to let cool to the touch.
- Microwave green beans with 2 tablespoons water, covered, for 4-5 minutes, depending on desired crunchiness. Immediately place vegetables in ice bath (large bowl of ice water).
- stovetop steaming method
- Place enough water in pot to cover corn (but leave corn out to begin). Bring to boil. Add corn. Boil 3-4 minutes. Remove corn to let cool to touch.
- Boil water in a large saute pan. Add green beans, cover, and steam 4 to 5 minutes, depending on desired crunchiness. Immediately place vegetables in ice bath (large bowl of ice water).
- In a small bowl or jar, mix dressing ingredients together. For a stronger garlic flavor, make dressing ahead of time and let sit.
- On a large cutting board or in a large bowl, slice kernels off corn husk. Add green beans after they've chilled in ice bath. Mix corn and green beans with dressing. Add sliced peaches. Mix again. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo