What is there to say, really, but YUM?! As much as I wouldn’t want to cave to the trends, avocado toast is just too good. I like to point out that I was eating it before the trend went crazy, but I’m not sure that really helps. Hilariously, when we were in Leavenworth, Washington, we happened on this tiny coffee shop (a walk-up window really) that offered “hipster toast.” Yep. Avocado toast appropriately named for the craze taking over the culinary scene. So now, at least, I have a funny joke to go along with my obsession. This spicy grilled avocado toast is a perfect way to enjoy one of my favorite things while embracing summer grilling. Hearty bread drizzled with olive oil and chili pepper flakes and then topped with chunky, salted avocado. Delicious! I like my avocado toast topping to be a bit chunkier (inspired by Dinette – a cute cafe in LA) rather than completely mashed, but that’s entirely up to you (and how ripe your avocados are)…
Crushed red chili pepper flakes are one of my favorite seasonings in the cupboard. I love adding them to oil as I start cooking and I love them as a topping with salt and pepper on dishes like spaghetti and lentil soup! And, no surprise, I love them on avocado toast! Usually when I think of grilling, I think of meats and veggies, but why not bread? I always love when I get grilled bread at restaurants, so why not enjoy it at home and take advantage of the grill after all the food has been cooked? I brushed Frontier Co-op chili pepper flakes and olive oil on the toast to give it a bit of flavor (and to get those beautiful grill marks). The toasts aren’t really too spicy and the avocado mutes much of the spice, but if you like spicy like I do, then I encourage you to sprinkle a little extra on top of the avocado too! And apologies in advance if you become addicted to this spicy grilled avocado toast like I am. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
SPICY GRILLED AVOCADO TOAST
Avocado toast seems to be here to stay and while I don't have a problem with that, I prefer making it at home (for a lot less $). This avocado toast is pretty basic, but grilling the bread with chili flakes is definitely a step above basic. I think that kick is what all our avocado toasts are missing!
- 8 slices hearty bread boule, sourdough
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-Op crushed red chili peppers plus more
- 4 small-medium avocados cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh pepper
- lemon zest
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. In a small bowl combine olive oil and crushed red chili peppers. Brush oil mixture on one side of bread slices. Brush to edges of each slice. First couple of slices won't have many chili flakes, so reapply as needed. Grill oil-side down until grill marks appear (5-8 minutes). Flip. Grill 2-3 minutes to warm under side.
- Meanwhile, combine avocado cubes, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Use a fork to mash it to desired consistency.
- Divide avocado mixture on grilled bread. Top with lemon zest and more chili flakes if desired. Serve immediately.*
- *If making ahead of time, grill toasts and let cool completely on wire rack. Mix avocado and top toasts just before serving.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo
This post is sponsored by Frontier Co-op. Thank you for supporting all Luci’s Morsels collaborations.