In my first year of blogging (you know, back when I just guessed measurements and called it good), I posted some really basic recipes. Then after a few years, I switched to concocting interesting, unique flavor combos…only to realize, most people are really looking for the basics! So now, I’m revisiting some of those original basics like this kale, avocado egg toast!
When I started blogging in 2012, I was in grad school and we were pinching every penny we could. I well remember checking our account balance online and heading to Trader Joe’s knowing down to the cent how much money I could spend for dinner that night. These were also the days I was stealing sugar from Starbucks. Sorry, Starbucks!
I was also on my weightloss journey, so oftentimes saving money went hand-in-hand with saving calories. And, of course, eggs fit the needs of both, so there were a fair number of egg toasts during grad school!
Kale, Avocado Egg Toast
Of course, eggs and toast need a little something, something to avoid getting old quickly. Back then avocado toast was just starting to get popular, so that was the obvious first step. And then any way to add veggies to the mix is a major plus!
If you’re looking for other avocado toast recipes, try these:
Do The Eggs Have to be Scrambled?
If you don’t love scrambled eggs or you get tired of them, you can certainly poach or fry your egg(s). I’ve certainly tried every option and they’re all delicious. It’s also a good way to make the same breakfast for everyone in your kitchen, but make it special for each person!
How Do you Avoid Cold Eggs or Toast?
It took some practice for me to get the order of things just right so that I didn’t have a cold breakfast. First, you’ll want to saute your kale. While that’s cooking or after it’s done, you can mash your avocado.
Unless you’re poaching your eggs, you’ll want to start the toast before your start your eggs. You need to leave time for the bread to toast and time to top toast with mashed avocado and the kale before adding the eggs!
For the sauteed kale, you can cook it and then cover it while you do everything else if you want to keep it warm!
Any other topping ideas?
This setup has sliced green onion. I’ve also done hot sauce and homemade everything seasoning (not together obviously). But sometimes just salt and pepper are all you need in life!
KALE, AVOCADO EGG TOAST
Step up your breakfast with this tasty egg toast topped with sauteed kale and mashed avocado. Scramble, poach, or fry your egg and top with a variety of toppings depending on your mood from day to day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced lacinato kale
- 2 avocados pitted and peeled
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 green onion white minced, green thinly sliced
- 4 slices whole grain bread toasted
- 4 large eggs scrambled
- Fine sea salt and cracked black pepper as needed
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high. Add the kale and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, just until it begins to soften and wilt. Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mash together the avocado, lime juice, and white portion of the onion in a small bowl. Stir in a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread an equal amount over each slice of toast.
- Top each piece of toast with an equal amount of kale, then ¼ of the eggs. Sprinkle each with the sliced green portion of the onion and cracked black pepper before serving.
Make this recipe? I'd love to see how it turned out. Tag me @LMinthekitchen on Instagram and use #LMrecipes, so I can see your creation! xo