I’m a sucker for heirloom tomatoes. They always catch my eye at the market and they’re always so delicious. Topped with burrata cheese, good olive oil, and some salt and pepper? Hmm – heaven! Since I try not to eat too much cheese, I have to find other ways to enjoy heirloom tomatoes, however. This sublimely summer salad combines two of my favorites summer treats – watermelon and heirloom tomatoes both big and small…
This recipe is really straightforward and can be made last minute, which is always a plus. The combination of basil and pine nuts gives a nice pesto flavor occasionally, which is nice. I always try to multitask while cooking, chopping the garnish while things are cooking, which means I easily forget how delicate basil is until it’s all chopped up. Once cut, basil leaves start to blacken (I’m supposing oxidation and science are involved here!), so remember not to cut your basil until just before serving or, when making pesto, just before adding it to the blender!
HEIRLOOM TOMATO, WATERMELON + BASIL SALAD
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced 3/4"
- 4 Cups 1" watermelon pieces
- 10 oz. baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- flaked sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- fresh basil
- Layer tomato slices on bottom of serving dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine watermelon and halved baby tomatoes. Layer over tomato slices.
- In mixing bowl, quickly whisk olive oil and vinegar. Drizzle over salad.
- Top with salt and pepper to taste. Julienne basil just before serving. Garnish with basil.
Recipe by Luci Petlack, Luci's Morsels
Thank you to Melissa’s for the baby heirloom tomatoes, basil, and pine nuts.