A long, long time ago (ok, just two years), I was on a trip to Sonoma with my husband to visit a winery. The morning we were set to arrive, I wanted to dress up a bit, so I decided to give curling my hair a shot – with my flat iron. I’d heard it could be done but had no idea what to do. What I ended up with was subtle, but I was so happy with how it turned out. I then watched a few YouTube videos on how to curl hair with a flat iron, but none of them did it the way that I did…
Beginning that day, friends sent me messages asking me how I did my hair after seeing it on Instagram. I said I’d try to make a video soon to show how to curl my hair with a flat iron. And sadly it hasn’t happened until now. (hangs curled hair in shame)
Since that first morning of curling my hair, I’ve gotten much better at it and found ways to make bigger and smaller curls. I’ve gotten much faster over the years as well and I’ve found a few ways to shortcut hairstyling for those early morning flights and traveling with a little less than a full arsenal of styling tools. All of it is in the video and just below are links to all the products mentioned!
Shop How to Curl Your Hair with a Flat iron
This flat iron can travel internationally with just a regular converter without busting a fuse or the circuit. It’s my second one of the kind and I absolutely love it.
2. Paddle Brush
3. Hair Clips
4. Bed Head Hair Spray
5. Oribe Anti-Humidite Spray (anti-frizz spray)
- Hair Brush
- Large Clip or Hair Claw
- Brush through dry hair (preferably blow dried straight, but not straightened with flat iron).
- Divide hair in 2-3 sections (top to bottom) depending on quantity of hair.
- Clip all but bottom section up and out of the way.
- Divide hair on each side of neck. Then divide hair into 3 sections.
- Hold one section out (away from head). Hold flat iron "upside down" with iron plates below your hand.
- Beginning near roots, place hair between iron plates and gently pull away a few inches. Begin to twist wrist and hair away from face, slowly moving further down hair.
- Once the entire section of hair is curled in the iron, hold for approximately five seconds and then loosen grip on hair.
- Follow with remaining hair. Hair spray each section after curling.